Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lion City

It was my very first time to travel on vacation alone and my choice of destination was Singapore. I had long wanted to visit this place and I finally had a chance last October 04. Jon was my gracious host who let me crash in his room (sorry for making such a mess, hahahaha, I did clean up after!) and my tour guide (on his free time).



Jon’s Condo



So for the first few days, I was on my own in a strange city with nothing but Jon’s transitlink guide and a map.




Navigator!!!



My first day stop was of course Orchard Road, not to shop but to find a money changer. Yup, Jon and I forgot to change currencies at the airport! Armed with Jon’s EZlink pass, I boarded Bus no 162 and waited 18 stops till I reach the bus stop in front of Tangs. (At least that’s how I remember it, hahaha).






Shopping District



I went to Lucky Plaza (I was told this was the Pinoy’s haven in Orchard) and had my foreign currencies changed. I got tired of Orchard after a while since I cannot afford most of the items on sale there! Hahaha.




So during lunch at a fastfood, I was figuring out how to get to the zoo (which was on the opposite side of town). After the train and a long bus ride, I finally got there. I met Sweedy and Geckying (it was Geck’s bday that day) and went around the zoo with them. They’re both junior college students. ( Hey girls, hope you’ll come by and visit the Philippines sometime, just SMS or email me ok!)








Zoo Fever



Before the zoo closed I got on the tram and just enjoyed the view. I waited at KFC’s for Jon to arrive so we may continue on with the Night Safari.The Night Safari was fun. It was like a Jurassic Park ride complete with audio commentaries. It was also kinda scary since the ‘forest’ was hazy from the smoke coming from a forest fire from nearby Indonesia and the protective fence was not visible from the tram. So we got to see jackals, hyenas, owls and other dangerous night creatures. Our favorites were the Barbirusas of Sumatra and the Giant Fruit-Eating Bats who were inside a claustrophobic netted area (which you had to go into by foot). Yup, there was a trail that you can venture into if you’re brave enough.






Bobby, is that you?



It was again after midnight when we got back to Jon’s condo as we bought us Häagen-Dazs Macadamia Nut ice cream and splurged the night (I mean morning) away.

Next day, I decided to go to Chinatown and Little India just to browse through the shops and try to mingle with the locals.






Cultural Districts



SG is basically known for its immaculately clean streets, stations, trains, and buses – places that are monitored with cameras (security personnel are very rarely seen in crowded areas) – well organized transportation system (3 MRT lines and LRT too and lots of bus routes) – stringent punishment for law breakers (thereby has a relatively low crime rate) – great shopping centers (all places and MRT stations have malls in them) – and the hot equatorial sun!

After that tiring walkathon, I stopped by Starbucks at Raffles Shopping Center near Marina Bay and City Hall to wait for Resie. We dined at Café Cartel and met up with Jon at their dentist’s place. Resie and I had lots of catching up to do and so we swapped stories (most of them girl talk) and talked the night away.






Ang tagal ni dentist!



As we strolled along the streets on the way home, we felt like we were in a ghost town (or the twilight zone for that matter) as the streets were so smoky and deserted. It was again a very late night for us tired people.

Here comes Saturday! Jon and I were set to go to the Merlion Park, Esplanade and Suntec City to do the usual tourist picture taking.










The Usual Tourists



We had lunch at Genki Sushi in Marina Square and then parted ways at the City Hall MRT stop; he on his way to an SFC activity and me on my way to the Science Center.






Maki, anyone?



The Science Center was fun though I only had limited time there since I had to go back for the party.




Science Center



At half past 7, Ate Marissa with the family and I arrived at Paulo and Len’s place for Jon’s surprise bday bash. Ted and Norleen were of course there to celebrate with Jon. When he got out of the elevators with his household brothers, he looked like he was a kidnapped victim. The look on his face when we shouted “SURPRISE!!!” was priceless. It was a meaningful night for Jon (or so I think, hahaha) with lots or revelations (some of which are too sensitive to be published in this blog, hehe) and bonding time with lots and lots of well-meaning friends and family.




Surprise!





Happy Birthday Serge! I honor you for the great friendship, the laughter, the foolishness, the serious talks, crazy college life, graduate school cramming and overnights, heart matters, Lagos outing, gimmicks with the ever girls, and of course for the barbirusas! Hahahaha. Like I said, people are fussing over you for your undivided attention. Grabe ang lakas mo at ang haba ng hair!!!




As if the day was not tiring enough, Yves, Jon and I went to Mustafa (famed 24hr mall) to, of course, do some shopping! By the time, we got home I was dead tired!!!




Shop-till-you-drop!


Sunday was Sentosa Day (and Suntec City too).




World’s Largest Fountain



I had an early start since I heard mass at the Church of the Holy Spirit (along Upper Thomson Road).




After mass with Jon’s nieces, Jana and Jillian



Jon and I were supposed to meet Delpoy and Resie somewhere. We had lunch at Pasta Mia (Suntec City) and by the time we finished Delpoy arrived, Resie was sick though. We had the usual cable car ride and chairlift which were driving Jon nuts – particularly the chairlift since the safety nets were taken out! Hahaha.




The luge was fun. They were these go-cart-type rides that go free-falling on a downhill slope. They can go pretty fast if you can’t control them.






Can we try that again? What do you think, Serge?



After that, we went on a Siloso Beach-photo shoot with director of photography Jon and centerfold model Delpoy. He had us do all these crazy poses. Buti na lang may Canon EOS ka Serge, sarap mong maging friend!








Mga walang magawa!



After we got tired of posing, my dates left me to wander alone within Sentosa’s Underwater World. It’s similar to HK Ocean Park’s Atoll Reef but much much shorter. I didn’t go to see the dolphin show anymore, as there were more unusual things to do in Sentosa.




Fishies



Afterwards, we had Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream (what was the flavor Delps? Banana and berry?) it was good!




Yum Yum




We then headed to the amphitheater to watch the Magical Fountain Show with Qiqi and the Merlion.

Thank goodness, it was nighttime hindi na masyado mainit. All three of us, proceeded to the cable cars again to go to Mount Faber, Singapore’s highest point (again similar to HK’s Victoria’s Peak).




How romantic



The date place Jewel in the Box was a classic one. I could just imagine guys proposing there! After some photo taking again, we headed back to the nearest mall and had dinner before calling it a night.

I was on my own again come Monday. Instead of going to the Jurong Bird Park, I decided to just stay at the condo and rest and get started on packing (oh yeah, I’m not a good packer, ang tagal mag-empake!!!). However, after lunch I was done with the packing (wow improvement) and went to Orchard Road again, this time to buy handsfree earphones for my SE cellphone. It’s true that gadgets and accessories are cheaper here than in Manila. I might buy a laptop (that’s a hint Serge).

Then I got back to the condo, got my things, said my farewell and thanks to Ate Marissa and family, and went straight to Novena MRT station for a farewell and bday eve dinner (of Jon’s) with friends. After the sumptuous Hainanese Chicken Rice at Wee Nam Kee (Novena), all of us, except for Pau and Len and their friend, boarded the MRT towards Changi Airport. We parted ways with Ted and Norleen at the train junction, and all four of us (Jon, Delfin and Resie) went to the airport.







Friends!!!



As if the Cathy stories (hmmm, just imagine someone missing their flight) aren’t scary enough, the four of us had desserts at Swensen’s. We were all so full as we headed towards the budget terminal. We all said our goodbyes from there and I proceeded in checking in. My flight was at 12:40am and I was still at the check in counter at 11:55pm. Hahahaha, after checking in, I still had time to call Jon for my birthday greetings – just in time to hear the final boarding call for my flight. So there I was, homeward bound at last, but I’m gonna miss Singapore with all my friends!




Sizzling Ice Cream!






Maghahatid lang sa airport yan ha!



Halfway thru my flight, I was already planning my return. Who knows, next time, I might not stay there for a week or so, but hmmm indefinitely perhaps?! Hahaha.

Then again that would be another story.

No comments: