Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Bangkok, Thailand (Part 2)

Thailand is not only known as the land of temples and palaces. Their culture is a colorful blend of ancient traditions and modern lifestyle. As the temples and palaces are located in another part of the city, modern day Bangkok boasts of malls and countless bazaars in yet another part. We went to MBK (it's similar to Greenhills in Manila) and it was a shopper's delight.

Like any other busy cities, Bangkok has it share of traffic jams. But I don't know which ones are worse, the traffic in Manila or the jam in Bangkok (well, not to mention, that you get confused because they use right-hand driving orientation, hahaha).

Apart from their modern shopping centers, Thailand still maintains their traditional marketplaces. We visited the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. I read somewhere before that Thailand was known as the Venice of Asia because of its canals which serve as the roads.

The vendors in the floating market sell all kinds of stuff from clothing and vegetables, to hot noodle soup and fruits. It was interesting to note that old Bangkok did indeed do their shopping on boats!

Thailand is also known for their trained gentle giants, the elephants. We were able to watch two kinds of elephant shows in the Samphran Elephant Ground and Zoo as well as in the Rose Garden. The picture below is taken from the Rose Garden where we also got to see a cultural show inside their big air-conditioned auditorium that resembles a big nipa hut.


We saw so many wonderful things in Thailand and memorable as it was I cannot put it all here. I just relayed all the highlights of the trip that I would remember forever. But of course, behind the camera, we were having the best memory of all, spending time with my parents. I took so many pictures of Thailand but I chose only those that will give you a vivid idea of what you can expect from the country with a city bearing the longest name: Krungthepmahanakornamorn 
ratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwes
mahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit - also known as Bangkok.

The best of it all was the Chao Phraya River Cruise aboard the Grand Pearl. We were treated to a buffet of international cuisine mainly composed of seafoods. Some where really very spicy! There was also a lot of fruits both native to the country and foreign. There was also a Filipina singer who serenaded us as we swept across the river with the lighted temples as the background. We saw the Grand Palace in all its lights, some monuments, and their long suspension bridge. But what catched my attention the most was the Temple of Dawn. It was a wonderful sight.


So there you go. My five days in Thailand. I wonder where I'll go next. Well, who knows but I'll keep you posted! =)

No comments: