Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Rhapsody in A Major

So I'm back to reality after that brief getaway. And the latest stuff that's been keeping me busy now is figuring out how to use my Hofner violin.



I was back in UST campus last weekend and yup I was shocked with how different everything looked like. I mean I was just out of there 6 years back, so imagine my dad's surprise after graduating from the university 30 years ago. The main building had brick pavement in the front and back, the cooperative building and 'bamboo park' is out, the lot in front of UST Hospital (and beside the Elementary School) is full of fast food chains as well as a three-level parking space, the hospital had a new wing, and there's going to be a new building (they call it the student center) in front of the imposing Central Library. Oh yes, everything is different.

I was there to enroll at the Conservatory of Music under the violin short courses. I've always wanted to play the violin, since the guitar doesn't seem to agree with my fingers, at least there are only four strings to tackle with the violin. My teacher said it was good that I kinda know how to play the piano before because it saves us more time in notation reading and scales. The most difficult thing about the violin is to make sure that the A sound is the exact same sound you hear when you press LA on the piano. But of course, you gotta maintain the proper posture and know your notes well. It may take me quite some time before I could get some decent music out of the violin.

They say that music can soothe even the most tumultuous heart and bewildered mind. That's exactly what I need right now...

No comments: