Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Just How Intimate is Intimate?

"I wish there were a rulebook for intimacy. Some kind of guide to tell you when you've crossed the line. It would be nice if you could see it coming, and I don't know how you fit it on a map. You take it where you can get it, and keep it as long as you can. And as for rules, maybe there are none. Maybe the rules of intimacy are something you have to define for yourself." - Meredith Grey, M.D.

Oh yeah, if I can only put my hands on that rulebook I’ll be the guru on intimacy! But let’s get real, nobody knows how to deal with it even those happily-married couples who brag about how they “compromise” on each and every thing in their damn bland relationship and how they learned to live with each other’s weaknesses. True maybe, but aren’t they the same people who complain about every little domestic detail like using a glass coaster or putting back the toilet seat. Boy, how crazy people can get. But who am I to judge, I don’t know a thing about domesticity or married life for that matter. That’s too far ahead in my schedule, doesn’t even go into my 2007 Starbucks planner! Hahahahaha.

It’s true though that intimacy is something that even the worst loner-cave dweller- introvert-odd man out-hermit-nomad-isolationist is seeking to have at least once in his or her meaningless existence. Even those with lots and lots of relationship experience are craving for that one special connection. And I admit it’s something that I’ve been pondering upon lately. From a girl’s POV, it’s something more than physical togetherness of course; it’s more of a meeting of minds and stuff like that. Haha, no wonder they created coasters and toilet seats!

Seriously now, what really is there in intimacy that makes it so damn intoxicating and disgusting at the same time? How and where does it all start? When does it stop? What do you do when you’ve crossed that line? Will you be able to go back? (I must have that rule book now!) Can you be intimate with a stranger without making you a slut? How do you turn down an invitation to intimacy? Is there friendship after intimacy? Is there intimacy after friendship? (I can keep going…)

I thought I had the answers to some of those questions but who am I kidding, huh?! My friends claim to know the answers with all their background and social circles and experiences and books, yeah right! Defend your answers and show me your proof. Hahahaha.

Anyway, if you know what I’m getting at and you think you got some answers, just holler back aight! You know how to reach me.

Maybe my rules of intimacy are all too messed up… just like me.

No comments: